Search This Blog

Thursday, March 21, 2013

South Philly Experience - Los Angeles, CA


Being a cheesesteak fanatic, one of my first missions when I arrived to Los Angeles was to find a great cheesesteak.  Now, growing up close to Philly, I was raised on the originals, and that meant whiz was the cheese of choice.  The problem is that few places in Los Angeles offer up a cheesesteak with whiz as an option.  I did, however, hear of a food truck that offered a fairly authentic cheesesteak accompanied by good reviews.

Thanks to the age of technology, I became a Twitter follower of South Philly Experience.  When I caught wind of the truck in my neighborhood, I decided to check it out.  The cheesesteak was convenient for a quick lunch break, as it only took a few minutes to prepare.  As for the flavor, I found the cheesesteak to be appetizing, but a bit lacking.  The bread was an amoroso roll, the classic Philly style.  South Philly Experience claims to import it, which is a bonus.  However, it was just average and lacked the pizazz required in one of the key ingredients.  The meat was pretty good, chopped as is usual in a cheesesteak.  It did have some type of seasoning that I could not quite put my finger on.  Being accustomed to a classic cheesesteak, I found that to be a minor blip, but others may enjoy it.  As for the cheese, it was in fact whiz, giving the sandwich a boost.  Unfortunately, the sandwich overall, while not cold, was not piping hot, which decreased the gooey liquidity that makes whiz so appealing.

South Philly Experience offers up a pretty good cheesesteak, better than just any average cheesesteak spot.  It does not, however, separate itself above the pack.  I would and have returned, but would not go out of my way to get it.

Price: 6.5
Food: 6.5
Speed: 8
Overall: 6.5

No comments:

Post a Comment