Search This Blog

Friday, March 15, 2013

Hawkins House of Burgers - Watts, CA


As anyone who has spent some time in the city can tell you, Los Angeles is a mecca for burgers.  The options are endless and burger lists comparing the top picks in the city are plentiful.  Being an avid list reader and Yelp fanatic, I came across one burger that I felt the need to try.  Being situated out of the way, I wasn’t sure when the opportunity would arise.  However, my roommate and I ventured down prior to picking up our friend from the airport.

Hawkins is pretty easy to locate, right off the 105 Freeway close to the intersection of the 110.  A word of warning, though, Hawkins is located in Watts so maybe not the best idea to bring the Ferrari.  The hole in the wall joint has an outdoor seating area that resembles a holding cell, and the inside area is small, mainly used for placing orders.  The menu has quite a variety and a number of various combos, from fries to wings to spaghetti.

I spotted the burger that I wanted, however, the sheer size of it was a little too much for me so I modified the Whipper Burger, a monstrosity in itself.  The slimmed down version weighed in well over a pound, featuring two patties, two eggs, bacon, a hot link, chili and pastrami.  This is the point where some poor decision making played a role in my order, for despite facing this daunting burger, I felt the need to give the fries a shot as well.  After about a ten to fifteen minute wait, off we trekked with our burgers and fries towards Dockweiler State Beach (a short drive on the 105), where we would eat with a gorgeous view of the sunset..

Plopping the burger on the table, next to my can of root beer, revealed the true mass of the task at hand.  Eager to try it, I dug in like a hungry dog.  As an unrepentant carnivore, the smorgasbord of meat hit the spot.  Though at first a little dry, I added some hot sauce to help liquidate the burger.  Fortunately, in an age where burgers are frequently too small for the price, this one did not fit that bill.  The bread was almost forgotten as the meat fell out with some of the bites that were too big to handle.  After eating about half the burger and most of the fries, I decided it was time to call it quits, with a solid meal saved for work the next day.

As noted before, the number of burger places in LA is endless, but Hawkins finds itself nestled on my list of the top burger spots in town.  So next time that you are in town and headed to the airport, if you feel the urge to try a real locals spot, give this a venture.  Just don’t get lost or stray too far if adventure is not your cup of tea.

Food: 9.5
Price: 10
Service: 6
Wait: 4
Overall: 8.5 

No comments:

Post a Comment