Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Hummer's Sports Cafe - Amarillo, TX


I heard about Hummer’s Sports Cafe from an online compilation of great college sports bars.  Ironically, Hummer’s is located in Amarillo, which is not home to any notable sports colleges.  However, in Texas, football reigns supreme and it is not hard to envision crowds coming in droves on a Saturday afternoon. 

I happened to come upon Hummer’s with my mom as we were making our cross-country trip to Los Angeles.  Upon looking at my trusty Food Places guide on Google Maps, we pulled off I-40 in Amarillo.  Being a weekday afternoon, this Texas joint was not super crowded.  However,  there were still a few locals grabbing lunch.

The prices were great, as we paid only 28 cents for any type of beer (offer only stands for first beer though) and the food was cheap.  My mom got a good-sized bowl of chili and I got an order of wings.  I found the chili to be the highlight of the meal, as it was a truly delicious Texas chili.  The wings, on the other hand, were not my favorite.  The sauce was okay, but the meat was just not that tasty, and the breading did little to help.  However, it should be noted that my mom enjoyed the wings, so clearly it is just a matter of opinion.

Plenty of TV’s and a little bit of a Western atmosphere helped make the ambiance pretty enjoyable.  I could easily see why it was a college football hangout.  The Texas Panhandle was not quite my scene, but for a drive through, Hummer’s is worth a stop.

Food: 6.5 (Good chili, below average wings)
Price: 10
Atmosphere: 8
Service: 7.5
Overall: 7

No comments:

Post a Comment