Search This Blog

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Timmy Nolan's - Toluca Lake, CA




Having arrived out in Burbank a couple days ago, I was looking for a couple local places to catch some sports, chat with the locals and grab a beer or some food.  Within walking distance from my Grandmother's house lies a small Irish Pub named Timmy Nolan's.  Being the closest place that seemed to offer a combination of the three, I figured I would give it a shot.

With my Grandmother heading to bed early, I ventured over to watch some of the Angels game one night.  Timmy Nolan's offers an impressive array of beer, with a broad blend of domestics and imports.  After settling in for a few minutes with a beer in front of me, I soon found myself immersed in conversation with both the people around me and the friendly barstaff.  Being a somewhat small, neighborhood-style pub, many of the patrons seemed to already know each other.  In fact, on return trips, I was remembered by the bartenders, making it a very welcoming place.  Although Los Angeles gets a reputation for having people who present a "fake" persona, I have found the people at Timmy Nolan's to be very genuine, and the conversation is always something new and interesting.  With an eclectic variety of patrons, you could meet anyone from a construction worker to an artist to a businessman, with a journey to this local pub.


One day, while there, I found myself faced with some hunger.  Taking a look at the menu, I was impressed by a more expansive selection than one would typically find at a bar.  On top of that, the food was more than just the typical burgers, with some specialties (especially Irish ones) on the menu.  After brief contemplation and some advice from the owner/bartender, Dennis (a really friendly guy), I settled on the Irish Stew.  About 10 minutes later, I had decided that whenever I eat at Timmy Nolan's, I probably will not be too adventurous with the rest of the menu.  Why?  The Irish Stew is to die for!  This is something i could easily order every time.  Arriving in a sourdough bread bowl, the hearty stew blends beef cubes, carrots and potatoes.  The beef is perfectly cooked and practically melts in your mouth.  As a whole, the combination works so well together that when you finish the serving you find yourself wishing for more.


The drink prices could be better, but are not outrageous, especially given the superior selection when compared to most bars.  An impressive selection of Irish Whiskey's will also appease any liquor connoisseur.  I have nothing but praise for the food and my Grandmother enjoyed the Fish and Chips when we returned another time.  Compound these with the friendly staff and this is a perfect place to stop by, grab a drink and have a nice conversation when in the Toluca Lake neighborhood.




Atmosphere: 6.5
TV's: 7 (Large, about 4 of them)
Beer Selection: 8
Price:  5.5
Irish Stew: 9
Overall: 8

No comments:

Post a Comment