Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Philadelphia Sandwiches - North Hollywood, CA

On my way to the Verizon Store today, I stopped at a local joint in North Hollywood. The name was quite unassuming, but it described just what I was craving, so I stumbled into Philadelphia Sandwiches.

Most who know me know that I am a sucker for cheesesteaks and would rank them, along with wings, as my two favorite foods. That said, I did a search on Yelp and discovered Philadelphia Sandwiches. Being a weekday and with a full schedule, I ordered at the counter and grabbed a seat, intent on eating quickly.

The man who took my order, presumably the owner, was friendly, inquiring if I was from Philadelphia upon my asking if they offered whiz. Although whiz was not offered, I have grown to not expect to find that frequently in Los Angeles. Instead of getting my typical whiz, I opted for melted Yellow American instead of Provolone. The sandwich was not on an Amoroso roll, typical of Philly Cheesesteaks, but instead came on a toasted roll. Given the differences from the cheesesteaks I have been spoiled by while growing up, one would not expect this to turn out well. However, surprisingly it all comes together for an above average sandwich. The bread was a little bit crispy, but I did appreciate the fact that it was toasted. A good portion of thinly sliced, chopped ribeye makes this quality meat for a cheesesteak sandwich.

Although this falls short of a true Philly cheesesteak, it is Los Angeles, so expectations must be tempered. Philadelphia Sandwiches offers a pretty good cheesesteak worthy of a chance if in the North Hollywood area.

Bread: 6
Meat: 7
Cheese: 7
Overall: 6.5
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment