Search This Blog

Friday, December 2, 2011

Pat's King of Steaks - Philadelphia, PA

Ever since trying Pat's for the first time, I have been loyal to Geno's.  However, one day, while driving down to Maryland, I was faced with a difficult decision.  On one hand, my beloved Geno's had a massive line that would have taken about 45 minutes to get through.  On the other hand, Pat's stood across the street, with no line at all.

Despite the tough decision, I ended up deciding to give Pat's another shot.  After giving some advice to an out-of-town family on "how to order a cheesesteak," I ordered my own Whiz Without.  Unlike Geno's, Pat's chops their steak up and puts the cheese on top of the meat instead of directly on the roll.  
Unfortunately, this makes the cheesesteak suffer, given that the cheese gets cold quicker and does not stay in liquid format as easily.

While the roll is good and very similar to the ones used at Geno's, I prefer the meat at Geno's, which has a little more fat on it, making it juicier.  I also prefer the slabs of thinly sliced steak, rather than the chopped up steak that Pat's uses.

Although the size of the line can vary, it is usually pretty easy to find parking nearby.  As the originator of the cheesesteak, I will give it credit for inventing one of my favorite foods.  However, their current name takes it a bit far, suggesting being the King of Steaks, which currently should rightfully belong to its cross-street rival, the neon-lighted Geno's.  Nevertheless, this cheesesteak is above average, just not when compared to other Philly locales.


Bread: 8
Cheese: 7
Meat: 7
Price: 5
Overall: 6.5

No comments:

Post a Comment